We all would have heard our family members from the older generation say about how things have changed from back then. They will tell you a seemingly infinite list of ways life has significantly changed over the last half-century. From advances in technology to seismic paradigm shifts in a myriad of things, life is not what it was years ago. One cannot deny the fact that life has changed in incredible ways over the last half-century. In this article, we will discuss how the world has changed in the last few years.
- A few years ago, ‘going to work’ literally meant heading to an office location somewhere far away from your home may be. But today, one can comfortably sit on a couch and work from home with no hassle of traveling all the way. This trend has towered high after the pandemic.
- Over the past half-century, the global focus on fitness has entirely leveraged to greater heights. Having fitness equipment like treadmill was not common back those days but people nowadays own their preferred workout tools. Fitness has gone a long way currently than it was before.
- Gone are the days of using one landline phone for each home. Today, the usage of mobile phones has become predominant and also replaced landline phones. Mobile phones & tabs have occupied a major part of every individual’s life. It has eased the process of communication in a major way. Also, access to information has become endless with the rise of mobile phones. And most of the mobile phone users are smartphone users.
- A myriad of Social media platforms has entirely changed people’s way of communication. Back in time, it was not this easy to communicate or even share a picture or video. Now, it is all just a click away. One can easily know what is happening in another person’s life through social media posts, right from their breakfast menu to their vacation mode.
- Shopping for groceries or even a mobile phone doesn’t require you to step out of your house. Before, one needs to visit real stores to buy any necessary goods or even food. Now, it’s all on your mobile. Simply order in any of the apps or online stores and get the products home-delivered.
- Just half a century ago, the concept of watching television was narrowed down to limited channels. But now, there are innumerable channels that are being broadcasted. Say if you wake up at 2.00 at night and if you want to watch something there’s always entertainment available. It was not the same case before! Also, you have so many OTT platforms where new movies get released, and also gives you access to a gateway of movies & series. It goes unlimited!
- Flying in an airplane used to be rare. People hardly opted for flying as it would cost a big amount. It used to be a luxurious experience. Now, you get economy class tickets that come at an affordable price. Unless you are flying in the first class, it is not that expensive. So people have eventually started travelling and exploring broadly.
- Years before, even a high school diploma will get you a steady, good job and you can work until you retire. Now, with an increasingly educated workforce, it is hard to find a job even with a Master’s degree. So getting full-time employment is tough and the competition for the same is on the higher side.
- The news cycle has now become 24 hours. Before, you have to wait for the morning newspaper to know what is happening in the world or around you. But now, you can simply go to your preferred site and watch real-time news 24 hours a day. There are even social sites like Twitter through which you can get updated news from across the globe.
- The music medium has undergone a drastic change. There were records, CDs, tapes, mini discs, etc. But now thanks to MP3, you can simply get access to an infinite amount of music tracks at your fingertips.
- Paper books are becoming E-books. Yes, it is helping the environment and also avoiding the hassle of carrying loads of books. There are a lot of apps where you can maintain your virtual library and read books.
Yes, we have come a long way with a multitude of technological advancements. It has eased every path of our life. But there were simple things like writing a letter to your loved ones which used to be charming. There are always two sides to anything, isn’t it?